The Sunny Home Manager 2.0 monitors all energy flows in the home, automatically identifies potential savings and facilitates efficient use of solar energy. It makes intelligent energy management even easier and more cost-effective by combining the functions of smart home management and the SMA Energy Meter into a single device.
Intelligent energy management and power measurement in a single device
- Lower system costs thanks to less components
- Measure and control energy flows in the home based on predictive energy planning
Quick and easy installation
- Plug-and-play configuration after installation in the switch cabinet
- Easy installation saves time and costs
Future-proof communication lines
- More intelligent loads integrated via standard interfaces EEBus and SEMP
- Compatibility with cost-effective standard radio-controlled sockets facilitates control of simple loads
The control center for intelligent energy management
Understand your energy generation and consumption
- Do you know how much energy is required to wash a load of laundry?
- Do you know that your beloved refrigerator actually uses three times more energy than an A++ refrigerator?
- Are you aware that on a sunny day, your PV system produces more energy than you actually can consume?
Being connected to all major household appliances, Sunny Home Manager can tell you and allows you to adjust your consumption habits. This is the first step in reducing your energy bill and being more ecologically conscious by actually using energy when the sun provides it.
What Sunny Home Manager has to offer
- Clear visualisation of key energy flows in the household
- Energy balance diagrams which show PV generation, charging/discharging of the storage battery
- Energy mix (electricity from photovoltaics, battery, utility grid) as used by individual household appliances
- Historic energy consumption charts with various view selections
- Basic PV system status monitoring to confirm correct system performance
The analysis page shows the energy balance for a specified time period and provides analyses for generation, consumption, self-consumption and battery usage.
Sunny Portal Professional Package for more system details and better performance
The combination of the Sunny Portal Professional Package and Sunny Home Manager is ideal for professional monitoring of systems in the 5 kWp to 50kWp power range. Users can also read the inverter's most relevant DC and AC measured values and pull up information about power and yield. With the Sunny Portal Professional Package, system information is displayed at 5-minute resolution, therefore offering even greater detail. PV system operators can analyse their daily energy use even more accurately using the detailed energy balance data and can learn about their consumption patterns.
Managing household appliances
Particular energy savings can be made by allowing Sunny Home Manager to schedule distribution of solar power among the household appliances. The biggest savings can be made when the system takes control of the largest electrical appliances in the home. SMA offers a number of solutions that allow Sunny Home Manager to access appliances:
Switch appliances on and off
The Sunny Home Manager 2.0 works with select WLAN radio-controlled sockets from the online shop (see Accessories).
These radio-controlled sockets switch appliances on and off using control signals from the Sunny Home Manager 2.0. The Sunny Home Manager 2.0 measures power consumption levels and records exactly how much power the device has used and for how long.
A variety of appliances can be controlled via the energy management system, including washing machines, dishwashers, dryers, immersion heaters, pumps and many more.
Radio-controlled sockets are available in various country-specific versions. You can find more information in our SMA Smart Home planning guidelines.
Smart Appliances With Direct Data Connection
The household of the future is completely interconnected. SMA has already partnered with a few manufacturers to develop major household appliances that work with the Sunny Home Manager in automatically managing household energy:
For example, after simple plug-and-play installation, an intelligent heat pump automatically coordinates with the Sunny Home Manager 2.0 to find the best time to heat the house with solar energy.
SMA Smart Home Partners
- Stiebel Eltron heat pumps or
Compatibility list see Planning Guidelines - SMA Smart Home
- Household appliances with the EEBUS communication standard
More and more controllable devices will be added with the EEBUS communication standard for energy efficiency. Each manufacturer will supply detailed information on compatible appliances and setup.
Store energy when it’s the most worthwhile
The active power limitation policy in Germany forces PV systems with battery storage to curtail PV inverter power output when more than 50% of the installed PV power (kWp) is fed into the utility grid.
With its PV yield forecast and measurement of household consumption, the Sunny Home Manager 2.0 knows precisely when it needs to limit grid feed-in, for example at midday. After all, even though on sunny days as much as 100% PV power may be available, if there is no one at home to use this energy, everything over 50% has to be discarded.
To be able to use valuable PV power, it is best to store the otherwise discarded energy in a battery. You can use this practically free energy in the evenings to operate television or prepare a meal.
For such purposes, the Sunny Home Manager 2.0 always ensures that there is enough capacity left in the battery. Instead of charging the battery with excess PV power first thing in the morning, the Sunny Home Manager 2.0 controls the battery inverter to make sure as much PV energy as possible is curtailed during the midday peak so it can be stored in the battery.